- Boys, on average, spend two fewer hours doing household chores per week than girls do (they play two hours more).
- If they live in households where children are compensated for doing chores, boys make and save more money.
- A 2009 study conducted by University of Michigan economists found a two-hour gender disparity in responsibilities per week in a study of 3,000 kids.
- 75 percent of girls had chores, while just 65 percent of boys do
- This disparity in chores and free time continues into adulthood all over the world. According to the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), men “report spending more time in activities counted as leisure than women. Gender differences in leisure time are wide across OECD countries.”
- Year after year, studies repeatedly confirm these patterns.
- The problems women face with unequal pay and housework duties actually start in childhood.
- The fact that boys’ chores appear to be more profitable makes the childhood chore gap even more disturbing. Turns out, parents tend to value the work that boys do more.
- Gender stereotypes dictate these patterns.
- men who grow up with sisters do less housework than their spouses and are also significantly more socially conservative.
Just had to bold that bottom point there because of the amount of misogynists who claim that because they have women in their family, they can’t POSSIBLY be sexist ever.
oh my fucking god
I vividly remember all the families in my church where the grade-school boys were goofing off with toys and the girls were being handed younger babies and turned into babysitters.Boys got to be boys, but girls had to be Moms.
Really, it ‘s a serious drag that even little girls today could answer #WithoutTheWageGapIWould
New Goodreads illustration! I enjoyed working with the limited palette, and always love painting books. Thanks Jade Change for the direction!
There is supposedly a downloadable poster version they’ll be releasing as well, so keep and eye on their site, if you’re a teacher or librarian or someone who likes books.
Also, Happy National Library Week!
Oh I love libraries.
Ladies and gentleman, the most pathetic reaction in horror movie history
The longer you look at it the funnier it gets
the one at the top that just fingers through the paper before it can emerge properly
Great moments in tv history
The best part is how the hand giving the cigarette doesn’t belong to anyone in the room—no one is wearing that shirt.
wow i really got around on the second day of school
i met her once and I’ve never smoked anything
…I don’t even drink alcohol
i’m a socially awkward virgin and i’m 99% sure that wasn’t gospel music
i don’t even have her number????????????
okayyy can everybody stop talking shit about ppl who give their dogs and cats all-vegan diets, i fed my cat all raw vegan food since he was a kitten and he lived a very happy four years :)
this bitch murdered her own cat
Stephen King being Stephen King
Why? I watched a father very firmly tell his little boy “No, you can’t have that Rapunzel dress.” The boy was near tears until his dad continued, “That one’s way too small. Let’s find your size.”
Eventually, the little boy decided against the dress and, with his dad’s blessing, picked out a tiara instead, because “it’s better for everyday.”
Parenting: this guy’s doing it right.